Tuesday 3 January 2017

Lexie Conyngham

An old favourite author with a brand new series. Don't you just love it when that happens? 




My review -

Hippolyta Napier, the heroine of this new series by mystery author Lexie Conyngham, comes to Ballater as the new wife of Patrick, one of the doctors in the little spa town. She comes across two bodies, those of Colonel Verney and his manservant, when calling upon the colonel’s niece with a view to a sketching expedition. She takes it upon herself to solve the mystery. Her suspicions, before she finds the answer, range widely.

In some ways Hippolyta reminded me of Jane Austen’s Emma, intelligent and insistent upon doing things her own way. She’s young and enthusiastic and positive that she knows best. As always with this author, the characterisation is spot on and the story involved and intriguing. I didn’t guess! Some writers’ books are as comfortable as your favourite outfit and I’m pleased to say that, though I’ve been a great fan of the Murray of Letho series, I’m becoming a huge fan of the resourceful Mrs Napier. A great read and a good start for the new series.



No comments:

Post a Comment